The newly established Research Network 35 "Sociology of Migration"
within the European Sociological Association invites papers to be
presented during the 10th bi-annual ESA Conference to take place
in Geneva, September 7-10, 2011.
The Research Network �Sociology of Migration� provides a
platform for all scholars who are dealing with questions of
immigration and emigration, integration and diversity within
Europe. The RN wants to offer a platform to further the
theoretical and methodological understanding of migration
processes and their impacts on societies. Comparative European
research, integration of different methodologies and
inter-disciplinarity are three major pillars on which the RN is
You are cordially invited to submit an abstract for one of the
following eight sessions:
1. Global governance of migration and global social inequalities
(chairs: Catherine de Wenden, Christoph Reinprecht)
2. European immigration between needs and fears
(chair: Joaquín Arango)
3. Migration and shifting boundaries of belonging
(chair: Ludger Pries)
4. Institutional sorting and immigrant integration
(chair: Andreas Wimmer)
5. Diasporic Cosmopolitanism: Rethinking Migration, Cities, and
(chairs: Nina Glick Schiller and Encarnación Gutiérrez Rodríguez)
6. Gendering migration in times of crisis
(chair: Mirjana Morokvasic)
7. Inclusion and exclusion of young adult immigrants in Europe
(chair: Katrine Fangen)
8. New Facets of Intra-European Migration
(chair: Roland Verwiebe)
The detailed session descriptions can be found here:
Please submit your abstract before February 25th, 2011 via the
ESA online system only at http://www.esa10thconference.
There will be two types of papers accepted (oral and distributed
papers). Decisions on acceptance of abstracts will be communicated
until April 6th, 2011.
In order to promote a high quality of the discussions, all accepted
papers have to be submitted via email (elisabeth.scheibelhofer@
until July 30th, 2011 to be circulated to the session organisers.