Crisis Group announce the launch of its first-ever Fellowship Program. The Fellowship will be a working one wherein three fellows will be hired to work for two years in the field with Crisis Group. Under the terms of the IDRC (Canada) grant in support of this Program, two fellows will be placed in the Middle East and North Africa program and one in the West Africa project. Candidates who are nationals from the regions of MENA and West Africa are the intended beneficiaries of the Program.
FELLOW, Middle East and North Africa
Based in one of Crisis Group’s MENA locations (Beirut, Cairo, Damascus or Jerusalem) and under supervision of a mentor, the fellow will research and contribute to reports on security, political, and social issues related to the Middle East or North Africa.
- Conducts field research and provides analysis on prevailing security, social, legal, human rights, and political issues as drivers of armed conflict;
- Proposes policy initiatives for governmental, intergovernmental, political, and nongovernmental stakeholders to address and resolve sources of conflict; and,
- Prepares supervised reports and briefing papers setting out relevant research findings and policy recommendations.
- Knowledge of politics and society in the Middle East or North Africa;
- Experience in political analysis and conflict prevention;
- One to three years professional experience in government, academia, international organisations, NGOs or journalism;
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills;
- Fluency in English; knowledge of local languages required;
- Degree in international relations, political science, journalism, sociology or equivalent through experience;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including good public presentation skills, and an ability to work as part of a team; and,
- Candidate must be nationals of the Middle East or North Africa region.
Applications should be submitted in English and include a CV, cover letter, contact details of at least 3 referees and a writing sample pertaining to conflict issues in the Middle East or North Africa. Candidates should also specify in which MENA location he/she is interested in working.
Please send applications by email to email@example.com including "Fellow, MENA" in the subject line.
Recruitment will remain open until the appropriate candidate is appointed.
After sending us your e-mail you will receive a response confirming receipt of your application. Please note that after that, only candidates selected for further consideration or interview will be contacted.
Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.